- Leave a Comment
Before baking this case, I couldn’t decide – it’s a cake or a pie. But when I baked it no questions were left – it’s really a cake and the good one. Crispy top, tender egg while layer and sour cherries makes very good combination. But if you are afraid of sour cherries, you can use preserved cherries. The next time egg white layer I will make smaller or will use bigger cake form (now I used 24cm). I know, the photos are horrible, but I had to do some photos in a rush, because I try to bake less sweets and the next time this cake will be baked after long time.
Yields: 16 servings
Calories: 360 kcal / serving
- For the crust:
- 5 egg yolks
- 300 g butter, room temperature
- 100 ml sugar
- 600 ml flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powders
- For the filling:
- 1 kg fresh or frozen cherries (or 1,5 can of preserved cherries)
- 6 egg whites
- 200 ml sugar
- 2 tsps. vanilla sugar
- Mix egg yolks with sugar till solid mixture.
- Add room temperature butter and proceed beating.
- Sift the flour with baking powders and mix in to the butter mixture in two parts.
- Divide the dough in two pats – one part has to be bigger. The smaller part put in the freezer.
- The bigger part roll out and line with it 26cm diameter cake form, lined with baking paper, bottom and sides.
- Beat egg whites to the stiff foam. Carefully mix in sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Put cherries on the dough in baking form in one layer. Pour egg white mixture.
- Take the frozen dough from freezer and grate on top of the cake.
- Bake for an hour in 180°C preheated oven.
Source: Lengvi receptai III (Laisvos valandos, 2009)